We provide a private nurse and doctor led service which provides fast , safe and effective wax removal without the need for syringing.
Ear wax- why do we need it?
Ear wax is a naturally occurring substance which helps in the function and protection of the ear. Some people however, produce large amounts which may need to be removed if it causes problems.
What is Microsuction?
This is a procedure using a microscope, where the practitioner uses a small metal suction tube to remove ear wax. It is a safer alternative to ear syringing.
What are the benefits over ear syringing with water?
- Microsuction is carried out under direct visualization with a magnified image.
- The procedure is not messy and does not involve water
- No ear drops are required to carry out the procedure
- There is no risk if the ear has an undiagnosed perforation
- There is less risk of perforation or infection.
What are the Risk and complications?
- micro suction can occasionally cause slight irritation or rarely bleeding or infection. To avoid grazing of the ear canal you should keep as still as possible during the procedure
- Some people can feel dizzy during micro suction as cooler air is being sucked
through the ear canal, but this usually settles quickly. If this happens let the practitioner know and they will stop the procedure.
Patient with previous known complex mastoid cavity/ cleft palate surgery
Patients with a history of severe dizziness
Patients who are unable to keep their head stationary or who are prone to head movement